NJ’s favorite candy is…
We started a Sweets 16 on Friday, which moved to an Edible 8 over the weekend, and a Flavorful 4 on Monday. The championship on Halloween came down to Kit Kat vs. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. And the winner by 58.45% to 41.55% is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!
As suspected, our candy poll proved Skittles was never Jersey’s favorite candy. Skittles never even made it out of the first round! (Okay, so our poll wasn’t necessarily scientific. Hey, fuggetaboutit, just go with it!) It was no surprise that Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups took the title. A recent internet rumor claimed the product was being discontinued due to low sales (not true) and people freaked out. It is a time honored beloved candy.
So here are 10 facts about New Jersey’s favorite treat.
1. They were created by a former dairy farmer named H.B. Reese in 1928.
2. He used Hershey chocolate to make his candy.
3. Years after his death his heirs sold the company to Hershey in a lucrative deal.
4. As of 2012, Reese’s is the top selling brand of candy in the U. S..
5. Annual domestic sales of $2.6 billion.
6. The same Hershey subsidiary that makes Reese’s makes Kit Kat.
7. H.B. Reese Candy Company is maintained as a subsidiary of Hershey because the Reese plant workforce is not unionized and the rest of the parent company is.
8. Other Reese’s products include Reese’s brownies, Reese’s cremes, Reese’s cookies, and Reese’s Puffs cereal.
9. Reese’s brand accounts for nearly half (47%) of all seasonal candy sales.
10. Slogans over the years include, “Two great tastes that taste great together”, “There’s no wrong way to eat a Reese’s”, and simply “Perfect.”
More from New Jersey 101.5