NJ Transit cancels more trains on Monday morning
NEWARK — NJ Transit picked right up where it left off last week, with nearly 20 trains canceled on Monday morning.
Most of the trains were canceled without explanation, except for one which blamed "mechanical problems."
Last Friday was a bad day for NJ Transit, with the rain-delayed Beyonce/Jay-Z concert on Thursday night causing 16 canceled trains during the morning commute because engineers had to take a required rest period, according to the railroad.
Strong thunderstorms on Friday afternoon led to the suspension of service on the Raritan Valley and Morris & Essex Lines in the afternoon. Attendees to Friday night's second OTR II concert were not happy with service afterward and complained about crowded trains and long waits between runs from Secaucus.
NJ Transit said last week's cancellations were from a combination of the installation and testing of positive train control braking equipment, which requires dedicated train crews to perform required testing and a higher-than-usual number of crew absences.
A source with knowledge of NJ Transit told New Jersey 101.5 there were "severe manpower shortages" last week which are the worst in the Hoboken division.
"I'm working my day off today because they’re short. If guys didn't work their days off they'd be in much bigger trouble," the source said.
Monday's 19 canceled trains as of 9:30 a.m., according to a count of each line's Twitter account:
- 5:52 a.m. (#50) from Port Jervis
- 5:50 a.m. (#1146) from Suffern due to mechanical problems
- 9:43 a.m. (#6231) from Penn Station NY
- 8:14 a.m.(#6219) from Penn Station NY
- 6:45 a.m.(#6206) from Montclair State due to mechanical problems
Morris & Essex
- 7:33 a.m. (#6620) form Dover
- 7:41 a.m. (#0808) from Lake Hopatcong
- 6:44 a.m. (#6614) from Dover
- 7:23 a.m (#3924) from Trenton
- 6:25 a.m. (#3706) from Jersey Avenue
North Jersey Coast Line
- 9:15 a.m. (#3508) from South Amboy
- 6:45 a.m. (#3507) from Penn Station New York
- 7:04 a.m. (#3502) from South Amboy
- 5:47 a.m. (#3503) from Penn Station New York
Raritan Valley Line
- 9:18 a.m. (#5170) from High Bridge
- 9:06 a.m. (#5415) from Newark Penn
- 8:04 a.m. (#5711) from Raritan
- 7:17 a.m. (#5420) from Raritan
- 5:52 a.m. (#5408) from Raritan
Riders were not pleased with the continued cancellations.
NJ Transit has not yet returned a call regarding Monday's cancellations.
How crowded was your train? How many times has your train been canceled? Join our Commuter Board and be part of our traffic and transit coverage. Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com or via Twitter @DanAlexanderNJ.
More from New Jersey 101.5: