Missing Kearny 14-year-old dies after being found in Newark
KEARNY — A 14-year-old boy reported missing last week has been found dead in Newark, according to police.
Angel Gonzalez's family had not heard from the boy in a week and believed he had gone to either Newark or New York. Kearny police reported on Tuesday night that Gonzalez was found unresponsive in Newark and was taken to a local hospital where he later died.
His body was identified by the Northern Regional Medical Examiner's Office, according to the police. A cause of death has not yet been determined as the medical examiner's office conducts its own investigation.
The department called his death an "isolated event," and said "there is no danger to the community at-large."
According to police, the Kearny School District will have grief counselors available on Wednesday at the Franklin, Lincoln and High schools.
Gonzalez was among several missing teens authorities have been looking for in recent weeks in New Jersey:
- Hannah Rose Jones, 14, of Florence, escaped police in Philadelphia after a car she was a passenger in struck two sheriff's officers. She went missing on Oct. 8.
- Allison Wade, 14, of Gloucester Township, was last seen Monday at her family's home.
- Antonella Marino, 13, from Toms River, was last seen at her home on Oct. 11. Police want to speak with Jeffrey Trautmann, 19, of Jackson. He is not a suspect in her disappearance but he could provide information on her whereabouts.
- Cody MacPherson, 20, of Pemberton, was involved with a scuffle at a bar in Pemberton and disappeared
- Nick Pratico, 18, of Hamilton, was last seen on the campus of Mercer County Community College in West Windsor after signing up for classes and getting his student ID.
More From New Jersey 101.5
Dan Alexander contributed to this report.
Contact reporter Adam Hochron at 609-359-5326 or Adam.Hochron@townsquaremedia.com