New Jersey 101.5 video

HOWELL — A Monmouth County family suffered a fright but won't be out of a home this Christmas weekend thanks to the quick work of township police and firefighters.

After a Five Points Road resident jump-started his car's battery on Thursday morning, the vehicle caught fire, setting the garage on fire.

Police received the 911 call about 10:15 a.m. and dispatched an officer who was 2 miles away.

Howell house fire on Dec. 22, 2016. (Howell police)

A dashcam video recording shows Patrolman Robert Hill racing to the scene, where the garage already was fully engulfed in flames. Neighbors were outside yelling for the residents to get out.

The officer's body microphone captures audio of the tense moments as he rushes into the house to bring out a 62 year-old homeowner, her 27 year-old son and their dog.

Howell house fire on Dec. 22, 2016. (Howell police)

The woman was treated on the scene for smoke inhalation and there were no other reported injuries.

Adelphia Fire Co. responded, putting out the blaze before it could damage the home, which was deemed inhabitable for the time being. Two cars in the garage were destroyed, police said.

"The Howell Police and Fire Bureau remind you about the potential dangers of allowing your vehicle to warm up unattended close to your residence or other structures," police said Friday in a statement.

Howell house fire on Dec. 22, 2016. (Howell police)

Sergio Bichao is deputy digital editor at New Jersey 101.5. Send him news tips: Call 609-438-1015 or email