Fire destroys landmark Jersey Shore restaurant
AVON-BY-THE-SEA — A multi-alarm fire destroyed a longtime Jersey Shore restaurant early Saturday morning.
Flames engulfed Schneider's Restaurant on Main Street, a family-owned German restaurant that's been around for 54 years.
The Asbury Park Press reported the fire broke out around 4:30 a.m. and was still smoldering hours later.
Video posted by the S.A.N.D. Facebook news site show many fire companies responding, including Belmar. Many viewers posted fond memories of Schneider's.
"So sad. My son just was asking for potato pancakes recently," Megan Beth Mills wrote.
"Worked here as a waitress in high school," Kristen Zaleski-Hazen commented.
Avon police have not yet returned a message seeking additional information about the fire.
Share a memory about Schneider's by contacting reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com.