NJ cops discover missing girl being used as a prostitute; 10 arrested
SECAUCUS — Ten people have been arrested and are facing prostitution charges stemming from a sting that uncovered a teenage girl being exploited for sex work in this Hudson County suburb.
Prosecutors said investigators contacted escorts that advertised online. One of them turned out to be a 16-year-old girl from Union County.
Vernon T. Brooks, 25, of Carteret, was charged with promoting prostitution of a minor and endangering the welfare of a minor. He was being held with bail set at $100,000 cash or bond.
Also charged by the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office with promoting prostitution:
- Kevin William, 26, of Orange
- Ray Marlon Owens, 37, of Baltimore
- Leia Alliston, 41, of Manhattan
Prosecutors charged these suspects with engaging in prostitution:
- Tahinah Borgella, 28, of West Orange
- Jaran Elizabeth-Ellen Reid, 21, of Newark
- Carolina Barhena, 32, of the Bronx
- Lisa Bengtson, 33, of Baltimore
- Jennifer Crisp, 37, of Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Pa Lee, 43, of Flushing, N.Y.
Sergio Bichao is deputy digital editor at New Jersey 101.5. Send him news tips: Call 609-438-1015 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.