CAMDEN — A jury weighing the fate of a man accused of killing his 3-year-old son because the boy had become an impediment to his relationship with a teenage girlfriend has told a judge it can't reach an agreement.

Judge John Kelley told the jury on Tuesday that they should resume deliberations on Wednesday. The jury began deliberations last week.

David Creato has maintained his son, Brendan, wandered away from his Haddon home in October 2015. The boy's pajama-clad body was found hours later about a mile from the home.

Prosecutors have maintained Creato killed his son because he feared his 17-year-old girlfriend was going to leave him.

Creato's lawyer argued prosecutors failed to show Creato was guilty, saying that the evidence suggested a stranger was responsible.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.