Volunteer for Thanksgiving in New Jersey 2016 — Places you can help
Are you looking for places to volunteer this Thanksgiving? We've got you covered.
Part of what makes Thanksgiving such an important holiday to many of us is the ability to give back to those less fortunate. Here's a list of places you can volunteer this Thanksgiving.
- Event Name: Hunger Helpers in Newark
- When: Thursday, Nov. 24, 2016; four separate shifts (6 to 9 a.m.; 9 a.m. to noon; noon to 3 p.m.; 3 to 6 p.m.)
- Where: Various locations throughout Newark
- Details: Hunger Helpers need a team of Jersey Cares volunteers to support it in Newark on Thanksgiving Day. Join them to help prepare and distribute meals. Please note, when you arrive at the main site you may be asked to drive to another nearby location to assist – it will all depend on what is needed at the moment.
- How to sign up: Visit jerseycares.org
Pass It Along
- Event Name: Family Volunteer Day
- When: Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016; 10 a.m. to noon
- Where: Sparta Evangelical Free Church, 429 Lafayette Road, Sparta
- Details: This is a day of service demonstrating the power of families who volunteer together in support of their communities. Each volunteer is asked to bring in a non-perishable food item that relates to a Thanksgiving meal. In addition to creating the meal kits, families will have the opportunity to volunteer together while they decorate placemats, create Thanksgiving cards, centerpieces, recipe books and cookie making.
- How to sign up: Visit passitalong.org
Meals on a Mission:
- Where: 63 Harrison Ave., Garfield
- Details: This volunteer-based organization, founded in 2010, aims to prepare a minimum of 100,000 meals per year. It is 100-percent volunteer staffed. Its 80-plus volunteers are divided into teams who shop, cook, pack, clean, deliver, and serve. The group is committed to the service of those in need through the preparation of well-balanced meals we would all be proud to put on our own tables.
- How to sign up: Visit mealswithamissionnj.org
The Salvation Army:
- When: All of November and December
- Where: Many locations throughout the state
- Details: The Salvation Army is constantly looking for bell ringers to volunteer throughout the state to stand outside shops and remind everyone that it answers the needs of families who need food, shelter, and clothing — not only at this most special season but throughout the year.
- How to sign up: Visit salvationarmynj.org for locations and volunteer registration form
More from New Jersey 101.5: