BERNARDSVILLE — A man was found dead Thursday morning and three people were hospitalized with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Police Chief Kevin J. Valentine said they received a 911 call from the home on Chestnut Avenue about 5:40 a.m. and found an unresponsive man in need of medical attention. First responders administered CPR but were unsuccessful in their efforts to revive him.

Police at the home told ABC 7 Eyewitness News the man was 59-years-old.

Valentine said three other people in the home — ages 51, 17 and 9 — were taken to Morristown Medical Center for treatment of possible carbon monoxide poisoning after first responders smelled a strong odor of gaseous fumes inside the home. Valentine did not say how they were related or where in the home the victims were.

Initial reports had said that two of the victims were children ages 10 and 5.

A hospital spokeswoman did not immediately return a request for comment Thursday morning.

"It is ongoing and pending results from the medical examiner's office," Somerset County Prosecutor's Office spokeswoman Jeanne Trillhaase said, adding that her office is not involved in the investigation.

Carbon monoxide is a odorless and colorless gas produced by fuel-burning appliances, engines and fireplaces. When the gas accumulates indoors, it can put people to sleep and kill them. Symptoms of poisoning can include fatigue, headache, nausea, vomiting and fogginess. Homes should have working carbon monoxide detectors.

Photo courtesy Bernardsville News/New Jersey Hills Media Group

Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com or via Twitter @DanAlexanderNJ

More from New Jersey 101.5

Sign up for the NJ1015.com Newsletter

Get the best of NJ1015.com delivered to your inbox every day.