Celebrate the hamburger
May is National Hamburger Month. How many of us won't be eating a burger by the end of Memorial Day weekend?
If we're going to be eating our burgers, we should know a little something about them.
* Americans eat more than 50 billion hamburgers a year.
* The most popular topping is ketchup.
* According to White Castle, Otto Kuase invented the hamburger in Hamburg Germany in 1891. Thus, the word "Hamburger" is derived from "Hamburg."
* Speaking of White Castle, they were the first major hamburger chain. They sold their first "sliders" in 1921 for five cents apiece.
* Burgers account for 40 percent of all sandwiches.
* During World War One hamburgers were called "Liberty Sandwiches."
* McDonald's sells 75 burgers every second.
* The Big Mac was first introduced by McDonald's in 1968. It cost 49 cents.
* Hamburgers and cheeseburgers are said to comprise about 71 percent of beef served in commercial restaurants.
* The largest burger, ever, weighed in at 8,266 pounds. It was cooked at the Burger Fest in 2001 in Seymour, WI.
- 65 percent of all hamburgers and cheeseburgers are consumed away from home.
No matter if you like yours with ketchup, mustard, relish, mayo or chili. Enjoy hamburger month!