IQ Test For New Jersey Drivers
Both on air and online yesterday, people seem to be in favor of my idea to require an IQ test to obtain a New Jersey driver’s license. Yes we realize we’ll never really see this happen, but just for fun check out the online poll results here.
Towards the end of the hour as the votes piled up, I decided to give a few examples of some potential test questions. They were tongue-in-cheek, but this is from where they came if you’re interested in taking the full exam. Questions are below.
21 correct =genius
17 =above normal
1. Do they have a 4th of July in England?
2. How many birthdays does the average man have?
3. Some months have 31 days; how many have 28?
4. A woman gives a beggar 50 cents; the woman is the beggar’s sister, but
the beggar is not the woman’s brother. How come?
5. Why can’t a man living in the US be buried in Canada?
6. How many outs are there in an inning?
7. Is it legal for a man in California to marry his widow’s sister? why?
8. Two men play five games of checkers. Each man wins the same number of games. There are no ties. Explain this.
9. divide 30 by 1/2 and add 10. what is the answer?
10. A man builds a house rectangular in shape. All sides have a southern exposure. A big bear walks by, what color is the bear and why?
11. If there are 3 apples and you take 2 away, how many do you have?
12. I have 2 US coins totaling 55 cents. One is not a nickel. What are the two coins?
13. If you have one match and you walk into a room where there is an oil burner, a kerosene lamp, and a wood burning stove, which do you light first?
14. How far can a dog run into the woods?
15. A doctor gives you three pills telling you to take one every half-hour. How long would the pills last?
16. A farmer has 17 sheep, and all but 9 die. How many are left?
17. How many animals of each sex did Moses take on the Ark?
18. A clerk in a butchers shop is 5′ 10″ tall. What does he weigh?
19. How many two cent stamps are there in a dozen?
20. What was the President’s name in 1970?
(WARNING: NO CHEATING! DO NOT READ ON UNTIL YOU HAVE AN ANSWER OR ARE REALLY STUMPED)
1. YES (they also have 3rd of July, 2nd of July…)
2. one (the rest are just anniverseries)
3. all months have (at least) 28 days
4. the begger is the woman’s sister
5. because he is living
6. 6 (3 per side)
7. no. The man would be dead
8. they are not playing each other
9. 70 (30 divided by .5 is 60)
10. white (the bear is polar bear because the house is at the north pole)
11. 2 (YOU just took 2 apples)
12. a 50 cent piece and a nickel (one is not a nickel but the other one is
13. the match
14. half way (then he would be running out)
15. one hour (the first one, a half hour later, and another one more half hour later)
16. 9 (all but 9 die…)
17. none. Noah was on the Ark not Moses
18. he weighs meat
20. Barack Obama (I had to personally update this answer because of how old this test was.)