Deadline is June 30 for Sandy homeowners to file for stay of foreclosure
TRENTON — Under a new law, homeowners in New Jersey's Reconstruction, Rehabilitation, Elevation and Mitigation (RREM) programs, including low- to moderate-income earners, will be notified by the state Department of Community Affairs commissioner if they are eligible to apply to avoid foreclosure actions on homes damaged by Superstorm Sandy.
When application forms become available on the DCA website, which is expected to happen later this month, those whose homes are already in the foreclosure process will have until June 30 to apply for a stay, according to the Asbury Park Press. Eligible homeowners must be able to prove that the damage caused by the October 2012 storm continues to hinder their ability to pay the mortgage, the report said.
Depending on individual circumstances, the report said the hold on foreclosure actions has the potential to last through July 2019.
Gov. Chris Christie signed the bill into law last month, according to the report.
More from New Jersey 101.5: