What You Need to Know About Fall Pest Prevention
As the leaves start to change and jack-o-lanterns start to appear, pests begin to prepare for winter, and your home filled with food and water looks more appealing than its surrounding areas.
Specifically, Fall Pests like Rodents, Cockroaches, Stink Bugs and Boxelders, will try to invade your home, garage or sheds, seeking warmth, and building nests within your walls.
Pests can gain access through cracks, torn window screens, or old vents, and hide in familiar places like attics, or crawl spaces. Here are a few tips for preventing Fall Pests from our friends at Viking Pest:
1) Shut the door in their faces: Look for any small holes in your exterior through which pests could enter. Weather-strip or caulk around doors and windows. Caulk between trim and siding. Clean and seal off soffit gaps and secure your dryer vent so that pests cannot enter.
2) Look for Pathways If there are trees or shrubs that touch your home, consider getting them pruned away. These act as pathways for rodents to reach your home. Trees, for example, give rodents access to the roof, where they may be able to get down chimneys or climb in through cracks around old shingles.
3) Don't feed them: Keep all food, including pet food, stored in air-tight containers and keep clutter off the floors. Clutter could provide hiding places for pests as they move toward potential food sources.
4) Don't provide them with water: Fix leaky pipes, especially those in cool dark areas, and put dehumidifiers in damp areas to discourage pests, such as spiders, cockroaches, ants, and springtails.
5) Ensure you're properly storing wood. Even if you snuggle up in front of a fire frequently, resist the urge to store wood indoors; even store-bought wood could have pests living inside it, and the more time it spends inside, the more opportunity they have to invade. Store it elevated at least five feet off the ground and covered with a tarp at least 20 feet away from your house.
To learn more about Fall Pest Prevention, contact Viking Pest for a FREE Inspection at 833-884-5464 or visit vikingpest.com. Click here to learn important factors to consider when hiring a pest control service.