Are You An Animal Hoarder? [QUIZ]
Fifteen dogs were recently removed from a Howell Township home after there were reports of the animals being neglected.
How common is animal hoarding in New Jersey? I came across an online quiz that could help you figure out if you have a problem. Check it out below, courtesy of the Bio Behavioral Institute.
SCORING GUIDE: Add up the responses to all the questions to earn a total score. The higher your total score, the more likely it is that you may be suffering from animal hoarding.
This quiz is not intended to be a diagnostic tool. If you suspect that you may have hoarding, please seek an evaluation by a mental health professional trained in the diagnosis of treatment of OCD and related disorders.
Answer the following questions using the grading scale below
not at all somewhat very much
1 2 3 4 5
1. My relationships with my pets have interfered with my social relationships. ______
2. My animals are a source of conflict with my family. ______
3. I am not sure how many animals I actually have. ______
4. I spend most of my finances to provide for my animals.____
5. I have difficulty navigating my home due to all of the animal cages, toys for the animals, etc. ______
6. I avoid having people over because of all the mess. ______
7. I experience anxiety and/or discomfort at the thought of giving any of my animals away for adoption._____
8. Others may find it difficult to walk through my house because of all the clutter. ____
9. It is difficult to find things you are looking for in my house. ______
10. My furniture (table, etc.) cannot be used as intended because it is covered with things. ____
11. I do not spade or neuter my animals and keep all of the litters. ______
12. I care for my animals in an appropriate way. ______
13. I know people think I have a lot of animals, but I don’t agree. ______
14. I hide from people the number of actual animals I keep in my home. ______
15. I know I have a lot of animals, but still desire to have more. ______
16. I sometimes neglect my own self upkeep because I am too busy caring for my animals. ______
17. I can’t imagine my life without animal relationships.____
18. I often feel lonely. ______
19. People comment that my house has a bad odor. ______
20. Law enforcement officials have come to my home regarding noise, smell, or complaints by neighbors.