The Cost of Christmas – How Much Do You Spend?
It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and it could be the most expensive. Here are some of the costs of Christmas.
- More than 90 million people will travel more than 50 miles during the Christmas season, which means the highways and the skies above will get pretty crowded.
- Americans will dish out about $6.5 billion on Christmas cards this year, with women buying 80% of those cards. Also, close to a billion dollars’ worth of imported holiday decorations (mostly from China) will land on our shores, and in our stores, if they’re not here already.
- Most of us will feed ourselves very well during the Yuletide season. Around 22 million Turkeys will give up the “Christmas ghost” so we can satiate our appetites. About 1.7 billion candy canes will be produced, along with nearly 20 million chocolate Saint Nicks. If only he knew how many people were biting off his head every year…
- We’ll average around $800 each on buying presents for other people.
- Americans will buy approximately 37-40 million Christmas trees.
- If you’re skinny, the good news is you’ll probably only gain a pound or so in weight. If you tend to be on the big-boned side, get ready to add on an extra five to seven pounds over the holidays. Sorry. The only weight you can expect to lose this holiday season is in your wallet.
How much do you spend each year on the Holidays? Who do you spend the most money on?