Rainy Day? Take the Kids to the Planetarium – Daily Day Trip
This is one story in a series where we feature one family-friendly day trip idea a day. Read the entire series and find great ideas for things to do with kids in NJ here.
Looking for a fun activity in NJ on a rainy day? No problem, take the kids to the planetarium, the state has plenty to choose from.
Planetarium at NJ State Museum
The largest planetarium can be found at the New Jersey State Museum in Trenton.
General admission to the museum is free, but the planetarium will cost you $7 for adults, $5 for children 12 and under.
Hours are from Tuesday through Sunday from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. and free parking is available on weekends in a lot behind the museum. Metered street parking is available on weekdays, paid lots are available and there’s limited parking in the State House parking garage.
Robert J. Novins Planetarium
The Robert J. Novins Planetarium at the Ocean County College campus in Toms River was re-opened in 2010 with a new fiber optic star projector.
Shows run Tuesday through Sunday during the summer and the building opens up at 11 a.m. All shows last an hour.
You can purchase tickets online and it’ll cost $10 per adult, $8 for seniors and $7 for kids 12 and under. You can purchase tickets online or on location.
Alice and Leonard Dreyfuss Planetarium
The Alice and Leonard Dreyfuss Planetarium at the Newark Museum is a great place to bring the kids to learn about astronomy, space and galaxies.
Adults will pay $5 for admission to a show. children under twelve, seniors and college students pay $3 and younger children pay $2.
The Newark Museum is open Wednesday through Sunday from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Other NJ Planetariums:
- The Raritan Valley Community College (RVCC) has a planetarium and admission is $7 per show.
- The Community College of Morris has the Longo Planetarium with public shows, admission is $10 for adults, $ for children.
Previously in this series:
- Daily Day Trip: See Fascinating Oddities at Ripley’s Believe It Or Not! in Atlantic City
- Daily Day Trip: Take the Kids Hiking at Hacklebarney State Park
- Daily Day Trip: Adventure For Kids at Blackbeard’s Cave in Bayville, NJ
- Daily Day Trip: Families Love Exploring Cape May Zoo