First Winter Storm Of The Season Halloween Weekend
What is scarier than Halloween? A Halloween Weekend winter storm warning! The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for Sussex, Warren, Hunterdon, Somerset, Eastern Passaic, Western Bergen and Morris Counties from 2am Saturday to 2am Sunday. A Winter Weather Advisory has been issued for Essex, Union and Eastern Bergen Counties. Here is what to expect from the National Weather Service:
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY WET SNOW…WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM
SATURDAY TO 2 AM EDT SUNDAY.
* ACCUMULATIONS…2 TO 6 INCHES. THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS MAINLY ACROSS
THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS AND ON NON-PAVED SURFACES.
* TIMING…RAIN WILL DEVELOP AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT, THEN MIX WITH
AND CHANGE TO WET SNOW DURING SATURDAY MORNING.
* IMPACTS…HAZARDOUS TRAVEL DEVELOPING, AND THE HEAVY WET SNOW
WILL LIKELY WEIGH DOWN TREES WHICH STILL HAVE LEAVES ON THEM.
THIS WILL LEAD TO SOME DOWNED TREES AND POWER OUTAGES. THE WET
SNOW MAY FALL HEAVY AT TIMES DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM,
LOCALLY INCREASING THE ACCUMULATION RATE.
* WINDS…NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.
* TEMPERATURES…IN THE UPPER 30S TO LOWER 40S, BUT THEN DROPPING
TO NEAR FREEZING SATURDAY NIGHT.
* VISIBILITIES…REDUCED TO WELL UNDER A MILE AT TIMES.
A Gale Warning is in effect from Sandy Hook to Cape May from Saturday morning to Sunday morning.
There is a Coastal Flood Warning for Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean, Burlington, Camden, Atlantic, Gloucester, Salem, Cumberland and Cape May Counties from 8am to 2pm Saturday. Moderate flooding is expected at time of high tide. Additionally expect wind gusts to 45mph.
Listen for weather updates all weekend on New Jersey 101.5.