5 Sure Fire Ways To Blow An Interview
The following career advice comes from Monster.com's Catherine Conlan. You can read her full article here, but here are the highlights. There are certain things almost all employers will agree is an interview killer. We have the top 5.
- Trash your former boss/company. It might be tempting to do, especially when you're directly asked, "Why did you leave your last job?" Some interviewers will even set you up with a trick question just to see if you're the kind of person who doesn't have the class to keep it professional.
- Tell the interviewer what you would change about their company before you even work for them.
- Comment on your interviewer's appearance in any way. Even something as seemingly benign as, "Hey, sharp tie." Instant turn-off.
- Denigrate the company you're applying to. Mentioning even with the best of intentions how their technology could be upgraded and you know how to make that work, for example, can destroy your chances.
- Show up late. It's a killer. Period. It shows disrespect and poor planning. 10 minutes early is always the way to go.