Steve Trevelise’s Callers Choose David Letterman’s Replacement
After 22 years, countless stupid pet tricks and Top Ten lists, David Letterman surprised his audience Thursday night when he announced his retirement from his desk.
CBS chief Les Moonves must now decide who will be Dave’s replacement. In an effort to help him with that, I asked the help of my New Jersey 101.5 audience to put together a Top Ten List of possibilities.
In no particular order, here are some of the names that callers came up with. Remember, if any of them gets named, you read it here first:
- Seinfeld - He'd probably love the idea of the monologue.
- Neil Patrick Harris – He hosted the Oscars, and just finished a long run on the CBS series “How I Met Your Mother.” His singing, dancing, and acting ability would give Jimmy Fallon a run for his money.
- Stephen Colbert - Why would he want to leave such a successful show like “The Colbert” report to become someone completely different than the character he’s playing (himself)?
- Michael Strahan - Strahan definitely has the confidence to do it, and I think would be really good at it. The problem is, he just signed a deal to add “Good Morning America” to his “Live With Michael and Kelly” and “Fox NFL Sunday.” It looks like he doesn't have any more room on his plate for another hosting gig, but one can hope!
- Tina Fey - Tina is best friends with Tonight Show producer Lorne Michaels, as well as host Jimmy Fallon. I couldn't see this happening, but she definitely would be great at it.
- Jim Gaffigan -His career is similar to Dave’s, in that he’s raised in Indiana and did standup. This is a possibility, but I think his time has passed.
- Dave Attell - One caller thought Attell would be a good choice, but I personally don't see it.
- Conan O'Brien - Wouldn’t it be poetic justice if O’Brien got the gig and beat Fallon?
- Jim Carrey - I can't see Jim Carrey taking David's place either.
- Ellen DeGeneres - She would make a great replacement, but she already hosts her own afternoon show.
Who do you think would be a great replacement for Dave? Keep the list going by commenting below.