School Mold Making Children Sick [AUDIO]
Studies show nearly a third of schools have mold, dust and other indoor air problems that could be making your children sick.
Last week an elementary school in Barnegat, Ocean County, was reopened after being closed four months for extensive mold cleanup.
But experts say mold can be found in some form in most schools across the state.
Dr. Leonard Bielroy, director of the Asthma & Allergy Research Center in Springfield says the problems from indoor air pollutants could become serious enough to provoke respiratory issues like asthma in students and teachers.
"They can trigger an allergic response leading to runny nose, congestion, coughing and wheezing."
He says if you have an unhealthy building, students will have a difficult time concentrating. "They can be taking nasal spray or antihistamines to treat their symptoms and it can be hard for them to focus."
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about one in ten children has asthma which causes them to miss an average of four schools a year.
"If they have parents that are prone to allergies or asthma, and then these kids are heading into an indoor environment that has a lot of mold or dust, it's like a double whammy...it can be a really big problem for them which can lead to serious complications down the road" said Bielroy.
Officials say parents should not panic if they notice mold in schools, but instead ask how long its been there and what the administration is doing to get rid of it.