Prosecutor: Driver in fatal Freehold crash was speeding
An investigation by the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office has concluded that the driver who caused the fatal crash that killed three people in Freehold on Aug. 19 was speeding and distracted, but was not intoxicated or using a cell phone at the time of the crash.
The accident on Kozloski Road in Freehold took place around 4 p.m, killing Noelle DeLuccio, 20, of Howell; Nicholas J. Dever, 19, of Freehold Borough and Thomas J. Koller, 50, of Freehold Township.
According to NJ.com, the prosecutor's office said the crash occurred when a Volkswagen Jetta driven by Dever - and carrying DeLuccio as a passenger - was traveling southbound on Kozloski Road in the left lane when the vehicle crossed into the northbound lanes of oncoming traffic. The driver entered the fast lane on the northbound side of the road and began to cross into the slow lane when he collided with Koller's Honda Pilot.
Another driver, Shakir Hobsoll, 25, of Freehold, was in the slow lane, but wasn't able to stop fast enough, NJ.com reported. Hosboll - who's name wasn't previously released by authorities - drove into the crash "and became lodged under the Honda Pilot." Hosboll survived the crash.
"There were no cell phones found in Dever's vehicle and an autopsy and toxicology screenings determined there was nothing in his system that 'would have contributed [Dever's] driver inattention or distraction to put him into the other lane,'" First Assistant Prosecutor Marc LeMieux said Wednesday, according to NJ.com.
Just over a month after the fatal crash, another fatal accident took place on Kozloski road, prompting Monmouth County law enforcement officials to post speed warning signs along the roadway.
Noelle DeLuccio's father, Tony DeLuccio has since spoken out saying he believes it will take more than signs to slow traffic.