An 82-year-old New Jersey who survived an explosion when a cigarette ignited one of his oxygen tanks is now homeless.

The Record reports that Stanley Kowalski had been staying at the Airport Motel in South Hackensack since early February but was recently asked to leave.

The newspaper says Kowalski, who turns 83 on Friday, has returned to Holy Name Hospital in Teaneck.  Kowalski suffers from emphysema and stores oxygen tanks in his car. Last month the car exploded when his cigarette ignited gas from one of the tanks. Kowalski and three emergency responders were injured.

Kowalski tells the newspaper the motel's owner told him a recent story about him was bad for the motel's business.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)