LINDEN — A 10-year-old city girl remains hospitalized after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning in her bedroom on Tuesday. The incident killed her brother.

Oshiobugie Asekomhe, 9, died in the incident, being blamed on a faulty vent on the furnace. Emike, 10, is listed in "extremely critical condition" at Newark Beth Israel Hospital according to police Capt. James Sarnicki.

Both were found unresponsive by their mother, Sepiatu Abum, 45, who called police.

The boy was rushed to Trinitas Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, while the the girl was taken to Newark Beth Israel Hospital where she remains in extremely critical condition.

Police said the carbon monoxide detector in the two-story home was not working.

Counselors were made available to students and staff at School 4 where Oshiobugie was a third grader.

"The entire Linden Public School community is deeply saddened by this tragedy. Our most heartfelt sympathies and thoughts go out to the family and the entire School No. 4 community," Linden school superintendent Danny A. Robertozzi said in a statement.

Sign up for the Newsletter

Get the best of delivered to your inbox every day.