10 things more likely to kill you than a shark
A false shark sighting in Sea Bright scared beachgoers over the weekend, but what's the likelihood that a shark will kill you while swimming at the shore this summer?
For your reassurance, here are ten things more likely to kill you than a shark.
1. "Holding it." - Not using the restroom when you should is two times more likely to kill you than a shark.
2. Vending machines - Trying to snag the snack that's stuck in the vending machine is four times more likely to kill you than a shark.
3. Cows - Bovine's kill about 20 people per year. Sharks kill one, according to a report by the Washington Post.
4. Coconuts - Yes, really. As a caller pointed out, coconuts falling off trees kill about 150 people per year. So maybe we should be more afraid of the shoreline than the water.
5. Deer - If you live in a rural part of New Jersey, this shouldn't even surprise you. 130 people per year die because of deer.
6. Black Friday - 550 people die each year from shopping on this notorious holiday.
7. Volcanos - Thought Pompeii was a thing of the past? Think again. Volcanic eruptions kill 869 people per year.
8. Mosquitos - Worldwide, over 700,000 people die each year from mosquito-transmitted diseases like malaria and yellow fever.
9. Road traffic injuries - 1.24 million people die from traffic related injuries every year, making it the leading cause of death for people age 15 to 29.
10. Texting - Texting and driving accounts for 1.6 million deaths yearly.
Feel better now?