State’s Bid to Grab Housing Funds Still Delayed
New Jersey’s top court won’t life an injunction that temporarily bars the state government from seizing towns’ affordable housing money until broader legal issues are determined.
The state Supreme Court ruling made public Tuesday leaves in place an injunction granted earlier this month by an appellate court.
Gov. Chris Christie’s administration had told towns that they needed to hand over the funds totaling $140 million by May 22. But affordable housing advocates and towns are trying to keep the money and use it to provide homes for low-income, people with disabilities and those hurt by Superstorm Sandy.
Christie’s administration says it has the right to take the money set aside for housing projects because the towns never got their housing plans approved.
A hearing is scheduled for June 5.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)