State Police, NJ DOT to conduct evacuation excercise
New Jersey State Police and the Department of Transportation will conduct an emergency evacuation exercise on the major shore routes on Thursday.
Crews will be working to practice seting up a contra flow that reverses traffic on a section of highway in the opposite direction. Actual lanes will not be set up or blocked but cones, barrels and message boards will be in staging areas.
Drivers will notice extra State Police and DOT crews but no roads will be closed during the exercise.
Roads part of the exercise include:
- Atlantic City Expressway - entire length from Atlantic City to Washington Township;
- Garden State Parkway - mile marker 0 in Lower Township to mile post 38 in Egg Harbor);
- I-195 - mile marker 6 in Robbinsville to about mile post 34 in Wall;
- Route 72 - mile marker 0 in Woodland to approximately mile post 29 in Ship Bottom;
- Route 47 - mile marker 16 to 21 in Dennis, and approximately mile post 32 to 35 in Maurice River; and
- Route 347 - mile marker 0 in Dennis to about mile post 9 in Maurice River.