Sheriff: No plans to talk to Stewart again
CANANDAIGUA, N.Y. (AP) — A sheriff in upstate New York says there are no current plans to interview Tony Stewart for a third time.
Authorities talked to the three-time NASCAR champion Saturday night, and again yesterday, concerning the death of a fellow driver during a dirt-track sprint-car race.
The other driver, Kevin Ward, had been in a wreck, and had then walked out onto the track -- apparently to confront Stewart about the wreck. Stewart's car appeared to fishtail from the rear, hitting and killing Ward.
The sheriff said yesterday that investigators don't have any evidence to support criminal intent, but that criminal charges haven't been ruled out. He has appealed for spectators to turn over photos and videos of the crash -- amid questions about whether Stewart was trying to intimidate Ward by driving too close to him, only to have the risky move turn fatal.
Stewart dropped out of yesterday's NASCAR race at Watkins Glen, hours after Saturday's crash. There's no word yet on whether he will drive in this weekend's NASCAR race in Michigan.
A spokesman says Stewart "will have as much time as he needs to make that decision." The spokesman says it's "still an emotional time for all involved, Tony included."
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed)