Route 1 Construction Causes Delays in Edison
As promised delays have developed on Route 1 through Edison as the road is closed in both directions through early Monday morning.
Work is underway to replace a railroad crossing just before I-287 which will close Route 1 between Old Post Road and Main Street through 5 a.m. Monday. Motorists will need to use Woodbridge Avenue, Route 27 and side streets to avoid the area. The detour is expected to increase traffic on Interstate 287 in both directions.
New Jersey Fast Traffic will have updates all weekend every 15 minutes on the air and instantly on the traffic page at NJ1015.com. Text TRAFFIC to 89000 for Summer Traffic Alerts which will report any major incidents in this area
Route 1 Detours
The NJ Department of Transportation will have the following detours set up this weekend.
• Route 1 northbound motorists whose destination is north of the road closure (through traffic) will be directed to exit Route 1 at County Route 514 (Woodbridge Avenue) and proceed north to I-287 northbound to a ramp that returns them to Route 1 northbound.
• Route 1 northbound motorists will be offered an additional detour at the second (northern) intersection with Old Post Road. Motorists can either go left on Old Post Road to Vineyard Road to Route 27 to I-287 back to Route 1, or right onto Old Post Road to CR 514.
• Route 1 northbound motorists whose destination is located between Woodbridge Avenue and the road closure (local traffic) will proceed on Route 1 northbound to their destination. The signalized intersection at Forest Haven Boulevard, adjacent to the construction zone, will allow motorists to safely turn around and proceed south on Route 1.
• Route 1 southbound motorists whose destination is south of the road closure (through traffic) will be directed to take I-287 southbound to County Route 514 southbound (Woodbridge Avenue) to Route 1 southbound.
• Route 1 southbound motorists will be offered an additional detour that will enable them to access businesses on the southbound side of Route 1 or to continue their trip on Route 1 southbound. This detour will direct Route 1 southbound motorists to take I-287 northbound to Exit 2B, the ramp that takes them to the signalized intersection at Route 27 and Vineyard Road. Motorists will be directed to proceed on Vineyard Road to Old Post Road, where they will be able to turn right or left to reach signalized intersections at Route 1.
• Route 1 southbound motorists whose destination is located between I-287 and the road closure (local traffic) will proceed south on Route 1 to their destination. They will have the opportunity to turn around at Prince Street to head north on Route 1. They also will have the opportunity to take County Route 531 southbound (Main Street) to destinations between Route 1 and Woodbridge Avenue.
View Route 1 Closure In Edison in a larger map
The Associated Press contributed to this report