ASBURY PARK — A roach-infested apartment exploded after fumes from bug-killing spray built up and combusted, sending two adults and one child to a hospital.

A spokesman for the Asbury Park Fire Department told the Asbury Park Press the explosion happened Wednesday night after an occupant was spraying insecticide, got a headache and opened a window.

Garrett Giberson said the oxygen from outside combined with the fumes and a stove's pilot light to cause the explosion.

The blast blew out the first-floor apartment's windows, bent the front door and damaged the kitchen.

He said the three people are lucky they weren't seriously injured.

Giberson said the home was still crawling with cockroaches when he arrived.

The American Red Cross is providing shelter for the three-story complex's tenants.

Sign up for the Newsletter

Get the best of delivered to your inbox every day.