NJ Transit’s service plans for Far Hills Steeplechase Saturday
NJ Transit will provide special service on Saturday for the 95th annual Far Hills Steeplechase at Moorland Farms.
Considered by many to be the social event of the fall season, more than 35,000 are expected to converge on the Somerset County farm to take in the day's six races featuring an international field of horses.
Saturday morning NJ Transit will run trains on the Gladstone line, which has been using substitute buses during rail work. NJ Transit will run direct service between Hoboken, Newark Broad Street and Summit every 15-30 minutes. Moorland Farms is located across from NJ Transit's Far Hills station.
After 1:30 p.m., trains will start to run back to Summit, Newark and Hoboken at least once an hour until 7:59 p.m. Service will increase to once every half-hour (or the trains are filled) at 4:25 p.m. until 9:59 p.m.
Service TO FAR HILLS from Hoboken/Newark Broad Street/Summit
- FROM Hoboken to Far Hills (direct service): First train at 6:24 a.m.; Last train at 12:30 p.m. with train service every 15-30 minutes from 8:30 a.m. until 10:35 a.m..
- FROM Newark Broad Street to Far Hills (direct service): First train at 6:40 a.m. ; Last train at 12:47 p.m. with train service every 15-30 minutes from 8:45 a.m. until 10:50 a.m.
- From Summit to Far Hills: First train 7:14 a.m., Last train 3:14 a.m. with train service every 15-30 minutes from 9:15 a.m. until 11:15 a.m.
- Until 4:00 p.m., customers traveling to Peapack and Gladstone must detrain at Far Hills and board shuttle bus service at the intersection of DeMun Place and Dumont Street.
- After 4:00 PM, regular Gladstone Branch bus service operates between Summit and Gladstone (including Far Hills).
Service FROM FAR HILLS to Summit/Newark Broad Street/Hoboken
- Until 1:30 PM, regular Gladstone Branch bus service operates between Gladstone and Summit (including Far Hills).
- After 1:30 PM and until 8:30 PM, train service operates from Far Hills to Summit/Newark Broad Street/Hoboken. Customers traveling from Gladstone and Peapack during this period must take shuttle bus service to Far Hills Station for connecting train service.
- Train service from Far Hills TO Summit/Newark Broad Street/Hoboken: from 1:59 PM until 7:59 PM, hourly train service will be available. Trains depart every 30 minutes (or as they are filled) from 4:25 PM until 7:00 PM. Last train at 9:59 PM.
- Some trains require a transfer at Summit.
- After 8:30 PM, regular Gladstone Branch bus service operates between Gladstone and Summit (including Far Hills).