If you lost pay as a direct result from Hurricane Sandy you may be eligible to apply for unemployment assistance.

Getty Images

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, if you have missed or lost work due to Hurricane Sandy, you should first submit a claim for Unemployment Insurance benefits by clicking HERE.

You may collect disaster assistance in the following cases:

* If you were injured by the storm and unable to work.  That covers employees    and self employed individuals.

* Your workplace is damaged or destroyed, or you can't work because of the storm or you cannot get to work because you have to travel through impassable or restricted areas.

* You planned to start but can't because of the storm.

* Your business or office is closed and is inoperable as a direct result from the disaster.

* To apply for assistance and receive information please call 1-877-358-5306.

For further information regarding unemployment questions as a result of Hurricane Sandy, click HERE.