Girl Helps Get Others Out Of Burning Motel [VIDEO]
A 9-year-old girl is being credited for helping get other residents out of a Pemberton motel as it burned.
Helen Gemignani tells the Burlington County Times that she and her daughter Nicole both heard a fire alarm and smelled smoke in the extended-stay Pine Village Inn in Pemberton around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.
The mother thought it was just a burned dinner in another unit. The daughter was more alarmed.
At her insistence, she says, they ran through the building knocking on doors, screaming, “Get out!”
It’s not clear how many of the motel’s 14 residents were there at the time, but none were injured.
A firefighter was hospitalized for undisclosed injuries.
The fire took two hours to knock down and gutted the building.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved)