A drop light is being blamed for a fire at an auto body shop in Franklin went up in flames Thursday morning.

Franklin Township Police said in a statement that firefighters were still at Classic Motors on Route 27 in the early afternoon extinguishing hot spots following the blaze, which is initially believed to have started when gas came in contact with the droplight. The 68-year-owner of the garage was using the light as he worked on a car. he attempted to douse the flames himself but it quickly burned out of control.

The owner made it out and was hospitalized for smoke inhalation.

Several cars were inside the building when the fire broke out around 9:45 a.m. The Somerset County Haz-Mat team along firefighters from several surrounding communities responded to the blaze which was declared to be out around 11 a.m.

Route 27 was closed for several hours during the fire and investigation but reopened around 2 p.m. on Thursday.