Did candle cause Lakewood school fire? 50 students displaced
LAKEWOOD — Fifty students were burned out of their dorm in a fire at an Ocean County school on Friday night.
Lakewood police said the fire at the Mesivta of Lakewood on Countyline Road around 7:30 p.m. left two rooms uninhabitable in the basement of the school for kindergarteners through 12th grade. JCP&L shut power to the building.
Police Chief Gregory Meyer said most of the students are local residents and were able to return home. They were able to get some personal belongings before leaving.
The fire is believed to have started by a candle lit for Shabbos, according to Meyer, but the Ocean County Fire Marshall is investigating for a cause.
Contact reporter Dan Alexander at Dan.Alexander@townsquaremedia.com
More from New Jersey 101.5