Couple Killed in NJ House Fire Linked to Storm
Authorities say an elderly couple died when a kerosene lamp apparently sparked a fire at their northern New Jersey home that had lost power during the weekend nor'easter.
Teaneck police tell The Record newspaper that 86-year-old Alberta Mood -- a double-amputee who used a wheelchair -- and her 88-year-old husband, Henry Mood, died in the blaze that began early Monday.
Neighbors say electricity has been out in the neighborhood since Saturday, when a fall snowstorm blew through the area. And police aren't sure if the couple was using the kerosene lamp was being used for light or heat.
The lamp was in a first-floor bedroom where Alberta Moody's body was found.