3-year-old dies of carbon monoxide poisoning after tailpipe blocked in storm
After clinging to life for nearly a week, a 3-year-old Passaic girl has died of carbon monoxide poisoning she suffered while trying to stay warm in a car with her mother and 1-year-old brother during the recent winter storm.
Saniyah Bonilla, died Wednesday at St. Joseph Regional Medical Center in Paterson, NorthJersey.com reported. The child had been in “very critical condition” since Jan. 23 when her mother, Sashalynn Rosa and brother Messiah succumbed to the fumes inside the car while the childrens' father was outside the vehicle shoveling during the massive weekend blizzard. Authorities say the tailpipe of the white, four-door Mazda was covered in snow, causing the fumes to seep into the car.
When the father opened the car door, he was unable to wake his family and immediately called for help, NorthJersey.com reported. When authorities arrived at about 8:15 p.m., they found that people were already performing CPR on the mother and son outside the car. Sashalynn and Messiah, were taken by EMS crews to St. Mary’s Hospital and pronounced dead.
In the days following the accident, a GoFundMe page was established in order to help the family pay for the funeral expenses of the victims. As of Wednesday evening, approximately $11,300 had been raised toward the $25,000 fundraising goal.
Still In Tears I Swear Life is Too Short & Precious Didn't Even get a Chance to Tell you I Love you Or Baby boy.. I...
Toniann Antonelli is the digital managing editor for news at NJ 101.5. Reach her at email@example.com, or on Twitter @ToniRadio1015.