Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, there's no way to avoid a pothole and the damage it may cause to your vehicle. However, depending on where the impact occurs, you could be in line for some money from the state to help with repair costs.

Townsquare Media NJ

As long as it's done within 90 days of the incident, vehicle owners can file a "Pothole Damage Claim" through the Department of Treasury.

"They have a claims department that will investigate," said Steve Schapiro, spokesman for the NJ Department of Transportation.

Eligible roads include interstates such as 78 and 195; state routes such as 33 and 440; and U.S. routes such as 1, 9 and 202. Toll roads are not included in this process, but vehicle owners could benefit from contacting the New Jersey Turnpike Authority or South Jersey Transportation Authority.

At a minimum, the claim form must include a repair estimate or receipt, insurance information, the specific location of the incident and a copy of an official police report if one was made.

The treasury web site said applicants should allow three to six months for a claim to be resolved, and payment/reimbursement is not guaranteed.

The owner of the vehicle, not the driver, is responsible for making the claim.

More From New Jersey 101.5 FM