The young woman allegedly slammed into the ground by Rutgers football player Leonte. Carroo Saturday tells the Record she wasn't seriously injured — but worries his supporters will blame her as the school loses a star player.

Carroo has been suspended from the team heading into Saturday's game against Penn State — just the latest player missing from the roster after a series of arrests in other violent crimes. Six other players have been dismissed from the team entirely after allegations they were involved in home invasions or an attack that left a Rutgers student's jaw broken.

The Record did not disclose the 20-year-old woman's name but said it had confirmed her identity, and that she described herself as previously involved with Carroo. It said her voice was shaky as she recalled the alleged attack — which she said happened when Carroo intervened in a confrontation between her and his current girlfriend.

“He picked me up and just dropped me," the news paper quotes her saying. "I remember that slam. I remember hitting the ground and seeing all those people around me.”

She also said she's taking pain medication — for a a stiff neck and aching hip, according to the report. Chunks of her hair were pulled out as well, she reportedly said.

Attorney Peter Gilbreth told New Jersey 101.5 "We're just not going to respond to statements, past or future, and just not get into a back-and-forth." Any response, he said, would come in court.

Carroo is out on $1,000 bail and due back in court Oct. 1.

In the incident Saturday, the 6-foot-1, 215 pound wide receiver from Edison is accused of “picking her up and slamming her down on a concrete surface, injuring her left hip, both palms, left elbow and left side of the head,” according to a complaint filed with Piscataway Municipal Court.

Rutgers University Police Captain Kenneth Cop had said in a statement that Carroo, 21,  was arrested by the Rutgers University Police Department and charged with simple assault under domestic violence. The document shows Carroo was released on $1,000 bail after his arrest.

Louis C. Hochman is digital managing editor for Reach him at or on Twitter @LouisCHochman.