Where can you volunteer in New Jersey for Thanksgiving 2015?
Are you looking for places to volunteer this Thanksgiving? We got you covered.
Part of what makes Thanksgiving such an important holiday to many of us is the ability to give back to those less fortunate. Here's a list of places you can volunteer this Thanksgiving.
- Event Name: Hunger Helpers in Newark
- When: Thursday, November 26, 2015; Four separate shifts (6 am – 9 am; 9 am – 12 pm; 12 pm– 3 pm; 3 pm – 6 pm)
- Where: Various locations throughout Newark
- Details: We need a team of Jersey Cares volunteers to support us in Newark, New Jersey on Thanksgiving Day. Join us to help prepare and distribute meals. Please note, when you arrive at the main site you may be asked to drive to another nearby location to assist – it will all depend on what is needed at the moment.
- How to sign up: Visit jerseycares.org
Pass It Along
- Event Name: Family Volunteer Day
- When: Saturday, November 21, 2015
- Where: Sparta Evangelical Free Church, 429 Lafayette Rd, Sparta Township, NJ 07871
- Details: This is a day of service demonstrating the power of families who volunteer together in support of their communities. Volunteers are asked to bring in a non-perishable food item that relates to a Thanksgiving meal. In addition to creating the meal kits, families will have the opportunity to volunteer together while they decorate placemats, create Thanksgiving cards, centerpieces, recipe books and cookie making.
- How to sign up: Visit passitalong.org
The Cathedral Kitchen
- When: Monday to Friday from 4:00-5:00 PM and Saturday from 12:00-1:00 PM.
- Where: 1514 Federal Street, Camden, New Jersey 08105
- Details: The Cathedral Kitchen is constantly looking for volunteers to help serve meals to those hungry throughout the Camden area.
- How to sign up: Visit cathedralkitchen.org or call (856) 964-6771
Community Soup Kitchen and Outreach Center:
- Where: 36 South Street, Morristown, NJ 07960
- Details: Providing nutritious meals in a warm, safe and caring environment, free of charge, no questions asked, to anyone who comes seeking nourishment. As part of our hospitality we also encourage and assist our guests in accessing community resources, services and educational programs.
- How to sign up: Visit http://cskmorristown.org/ or call (973) 267-0709
Meals on a Mission:
- Where: 63 Harrison Avenue, Garfield, NJ 07026
- Details: Volunteer-based organization founded in 2010. Our goal is to prepare a minimum of 100,000 meals per year. We are 100% volunteer staffed. Our 80+ volunteers are divided into teams who shop, cook, pack, clean, deliver, and serve. We are committed to the service those in need through the preparation of well-balanced meals we would be proud to put on our own tables.
- How to sign up: Visit mealswithamissionnj.org/
The Salvation Army:
- When: All of November and December
- Where: Many locations throughout the state
- Details: The Salvation Army is constantly looking for bell ringers to volunteer throughout the state to stand outside shops and remind everyone that we answer the needs of families who need food, shelter, and clothing, and not only at this most special season but throughout the year.
- How to sign up: Visit salvationarmynj.org for locations and volunteer registration form