What’s open and closed for Presidents Day
TRENTON — The holiday to honor America's presidents is officially named after just one of them.
The day is commonly called "President's Day" and has come to honor all presidents including Abraham Lincoln, whose birthday on Feb. 12 was for years its own holiday. Federal law designates the third Monday in February as George Washington's Birthday to celebrate the birth of the first president.
New Jersey officially calls the day "Presidents Day," and all state offices are closed.
- Post offices
- State and federal courts
- State offices (including MVC)
- Many public schools (check your district's schedule)
- Financial markets
- Banks (some banks are open today. Check your institution's schedule).
- NJ Transit rail operates on a weekend/major holiday schedule. Buses operate on a special holiday, weekend or reduced-weekday schedule.
- PATH operates on a Saturday schedule
- SEPTA operates on a modified weekday schedule
- PATCO is operating on a special holiday schedule
- Retail stores
- FedEx and UPS will make regular pickups and deliveries
- Most colleges and universities (check your institution's schedule).
Check with your destination to make sure it is open or closed on Monday.
More from New Jersey 101.5: