Traffic in NJ on Thursday morning: How the roads are doing so far
Thanksgiving Day started quietly on New Jersey's highways.
New Jersey Fast Traffic reported traffic moving at the speed limit throughout the state on most of the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway and the interstates. A 4-car accident on the southbound Turnpike near the Delaware Memorial around 10:30 a.m., however, created a multi-mile delay. New Jersey State Police said the accident was cleared up by 11:30 a.m. with no injuries.
A car fire on the Parkway near the New York State border casued rubbernecking delays in both directions around the same time.
A jackknifed tractor on Route 539 in Barnegat late on Thursday night was cleared up by 6 a.m.
NJ Transit was operating on a weekend/major holiday schedule with extra service to accommodate those traveling to-and-from the Macy's Thanksgiving parade in New York.
Traffic will build around shopping areas as some stores and malls open on Thursday night. Expect delays on Route 1 through Edison and Woordbridge, exiting off Route 195 at interchange 16 in Jackson for the Premium Outlets, on Route 38 near the Cherry Hill Mall, on Route 46 in Wayne near Willowbrook Mall and the Rockaway Town Square Center and on Route 1 in Lawrence.
Wednesday had some trouble spots with an overturned tractor trailer on Route 78 westbound in Hunterdon County and an accident on the northbound New Jersey Turnpike in Mount Laurel that blocked a lane but caused delays for much of the afternoon commute.
Spots on New Jersey roads to be aware of Thursday include:
- The Direct Connection project in South Jersey that realigns Route 295 so traffic doesn't have to go on the 42 Freeway is an ongoing project with narrower lanes. Be aware of lanes that have already been shifted and different patterns put in place.
- The Garden State Parkway has multiple lane shifts in place. There are several in place between exit 105 in Eatontown and 109 in Red Bank for bridge work affecting local and express lanes in both directions. Northbound past exit No. 91 in Brick has a lane shift over the Manasquan River. At the Essex toll plaza lanes shift in both directions as repairs are made to the deck of the bridge over Hoover Avenue.
- On the New Jersey Turnpike at Interchange 14A in Bayonne, all traffic has been shifted onto the east fork of the Port Jersey Boulevard Connector Bridge (the west fork is closed).
- The Route 46 bridge over the Hackensack River between Little Ferry and Ridgefield is being reconstructed and has only one lane available in each direction instead of the usual two lanes.
- The Bayonne Bridge will be open in both directions all day through the holiday but lanes are narrower as work on the "Raise the Roadway" project continues.
- The Mathis Bridge (Route 37 eastbound) into Seaside Heights is CLOSED for the replacement of a deck. All traffic will be shifted to the westbound Tunney Bridge westbound side until spring
State Police advise the following tips to avoid trouble on the road:
- Fill up your gas tank
- Check fluids (Including windshield washer fluid and anti-freeze)
- Check tire pressure and windshield wipers
- Bring a mobile phone with charger
- Let someone know your travel plans
- Steer clear of "road ragers." Challenging an aggressive driver for a position is a dangerous way to get to your destination a few seconds sooner
Download the NJ101.5 app for traffic alerts, and to listen to New Jersey 101.5 from anywhere, during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.