Tips to Stay Prepared for the 2013 Snowstorm Season
Snowstorm season is approaching. It’s important to be prepared to make sure you are ready for a snowstorm that may hit your area. Planning for an emergency ahead of time could increase your chances of safety. Here are some tips to help you be prepared for a potential snowstorm this season.
- Go to the supermarkets as soon as you can to load up on items such as water, bread, and non perishable items, and build a supply kit.
- Refill any prescriptions that you need and may be running out of.
- Make multiple copies of personal documents.
- Keep flashlights, lanterns and plenty of batteries on hand in case a power outage occurs. It’s a good idea to have different battery sizes ready.
- Stock up on candles and matches.
- Put a full tank of gas in your car, or at least enough gas to be able to drive in an emergency situation when gas stations are closed.
- Have warm clothing such as hats, coats, gloves, scarves, and blankets close by.
- Keep battery powered TVs or radios on hand to help keep you informed in case of a power outage. Recharge anything that needs to be charged ahead of time.
- Buy a generator to have as a back up power source just in case you lose electricity.
- Have a backup heating plan ready, such as a fireplace.
- Stock up on rock salt to melt any ice on your property.
- Insulate your home with storm windows, or cover your windows in plastic so you can keep the heat inside.
- Have an ample supply of pet food if you are a pet owner.