Contact Us
Make My Homepage

Tiny Batteries a Big Menace For Kids [AUDIO]

Button batteries that power some remotes, flame-less candles, watches, and hearing aids can be a major household hazard to young children because the little power cells can be swallowed and wreck havoc with their insides.

Flickr User Auntie P

Three thousand children are hurt annually in the U.S. according to Safe Kids Worldwide.

“When kids put a button battery in their mouth, that battery can get lodged in a child’s esophagus,” said Kate Carr, president and chief executive of Safe Kids Worldwide.

The batteries react chemically with the child’s insides and cause severe burns and internal damage.

And parents aren’t the only ones that should be concerned.  “You might have a young kid coming to visit you this summer, so be extra careful around kids under the age of four when it comes to button batteries in your home,” said Carr.

According to the National Capital Poison Center, serious button battery injury cases more than quadrupled in the last decade.

In order to keep kids safe, Carr recommended putting duct tape over any gadget with a button battery to make it extra hard for a kid to extract it. In addition, button battery powered devices should be out of sight and reach of children and loose batteries should be safely.

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

 

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://nj1015.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on New Jersey 101.5 quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here

Register on New Jersey 101.5 quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!