The Top 10 Endangered Jobs List
According to a piece by Margaret Steen for Yahoo! Hot Jobs, what my father did for a living to raise my brother and me is on the endangered jobs list. Dad was a postal worker.
By 2018, there will be 13% fewer of them than existed in in 2008. It doesn’t get much more ‘Norman Rockwellian’ than the image of your neighborhood mailman. In an every growing digital age, someday, probably sooner than later, that job will be a thing of the past.
Is your job on the top 10 most endangered list? Here’s the full list:
- Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturing: Projected to lose 18.6 percent of its 544,000 jobs.
- Department Stores: Projected to lose 10.2 percent of the 1.56 million jobs they had in 2008.
- Semiconductor Manufacturing: Projected to lose 33.7 percent of the 432,000 jobs it had in 2008.
- Postal Service: Projected to lose 13 percent of the 748,000 jobs it had in 2008.
- Printing and Related Jobs: Projected to lose 16 percent of its 594,000 jobs.
- Cut-and-Sew Apparel Manufacturing: Projected to lose 57 percent of its 155,000 jobs.
- Newspaper Publishers: Projected to lose 24.8 percent of its 326,000 jobs.
- Mining Support Jobs: Projected to lose 23.2 percent of its 328,000 jobs.
- Gas Stations: Projected to lose 8.9 percent of its 843,000 jobs.
- Wired Telecom: Projected to lose 11 percent of its 666,000 jobs.