Neighbors and friends of murder victim Tamara Seidle remembered the mother of nine during a prayer vigil on Wednesday night.

Tamara Seidle ( ABC 7)

The Asbury Park Press reports about 250 people attended the vigil at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church where Seidle was the coordinator of religious education. A statement on the church's website described the congregation as being "heartbroken" at her death, describing her as an "inspiration, a mentor and a friend."

Husband Philip Seidle, a police sergeant in Neptune Township, is charged with Tamara's murder along with child endangerment and a weapons offense stemming from Tuesday's shooting in Asbury Park.

Church Father Miguel Virella said in a eulogy "I'm pretty sure all of us were touched by her somewhere, somehow," according to, as friends shared stories about Tamara. Friend Jason Bucknor called her a "sister" and recalled at the service how she helped him get a job. He also talked about how Tamara endured what he termed an abusive relationship. "It's because she believed in the forgiveness, she believed in giving a second chance to her husband," said Bucknor.

Marc LeMieux, left, 1st assistant prosecutor for Monmouth County reads the charges against Philipe Seidle, in Freehold (Tom Spader/The Asbury Park Press via AP, Pool)

In her divorce complaint, Tamara Seidle claimed her husband physically abused her. She said there was no documentation of the incidents but that there was "police intervention."

The couple's divorce was finalized last month and police said the shooting apparently was spurred by an ongoing child custody dispute. Their children range in ages from 7 to 24.

Philip was off-duty when he fired several shots into a car driven by his wife and then put the gun to his head and started pacing as authorities got the couple's daughter out of his car, prosecutors said. Phillip Seidle then fired several more shots through the front windshield of his wife's vehicle, prosecutors said.

Philip's best friend Ian Nugent has created a GoFund Me page in order to raise $1 million for the family. Funeral arrangements have not yet been announced.


The Associated Press contributed to this report