Homeowners who are living elsewhere as they renovate or elevate their Sandy-damaged property through state assistance programs can also apply for help paying their rent.

A pile of debris from Superstorm Sandy sits in front of a damaged home on in Beach Haven (Mario Tama, Getty Images)

The Social Services Block Grant (SSBG) Rental Assistance Program will help those who are participating in the Rehabilitation, Reconstruction, Elevation and Mitigation (RREM) or the Low-to-Moderate Income Homeowners Rebuilding (LMI) Program and continue to make mortgage or rent payments as repairs are completed. .

Applicants must also have a primary residence in Atlantic, Bergen, Cape May, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean, or Union counties.

The program would cover up to $825 per month for three months available with the possibility of a three-month extension. The grants are available on a first-come, first-served basis to approved applicants