Should Sandy Victims at Fort Monmouth Pay Rent? [POLL]
Fifty seven families that have been left homeless by Hurricane Sandy are still waiting for assistance to rebuild their homes – and as such, FEMA has put them up in temporary shelter at the shuttered Ft. Monmouth facility.
So far so good.
Normally, FEMA would have stopped providing living assistance by the end of April, but has extended the deadline through August, with one caveat.
They’ll have to pay the fair market value in rent for the facilities in which they’re living.
For instance, in Monmouth County, a one bedroom unit would normally go for just over a thousand dollars a month, and a three bedroom unit just a tad over 18 hundred.
Given the fact that they’re still waiting for the government to help them get back into their homes, does this seem fair to you?
And given how generous our government is when it comes to extending aid to foreign countries – does it seem right to put the screws to our own.
Or so it would seem.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency typically stops providing living assistance 18 months after a natural disaster, said Michael Runestad, a spokesman for the agency.
FEMA recently announced that the 57 displaced families living at the shuttered fort can remain there through Aug. 31, rather than an earlier April 30 deadline.
“They can still stay there; they just have to pay rent,” Runestad said.
While I can’t speak for all those families, I’m sure some might not be in too much of a hurry to leave the facility.
But the day will come eventually, and until then, unfortunately, they will have to continue to rely on the government for housing – nearly a year and a half after the storm uprooted them from their homes.
Should the government begin charging rent to 57 families living at the Ft. Monmouth facility while they await FEMA to help them rebuild?
Is it only right – or is it a “smack in the face?”