Rat poison banned for being too effective
You know how I feel about mice and rats, I hate them. So when I see a story involving an effective rat poison, I pay attention. In California, they are pulling an effective poison off the shelves because of the collateral damage it does. It’s not that other animals eat the poison directly, it’s that they eat the rats and mice who have ingested the poison and therefore get it second hand.
Officials discovered that wild animals like owls and coyotes were dying after eating vermin that had the “super-toxic” poison in them. NBC Los Angeles cites California Wildlife statistics that indicate that over a fifteen year period, 75% of dead wildlife in the state had residue of the poison in their system. One of the non-toxic solutions a wildlife official offers is to get an owl. I don’t know how happy an owl would be living in my basement-that’s where the mice are.