A $3 million grant that was earmarked for a youth charity established by a former Penn State assistant football coach at the heart of a child molestation scandal has been put on hold.

Gov. Tom Corbett says he knew The Second Mile founder Jerry Sandusky was gone from the organization when the state grant was approved earlier this year.

Corbett spoke following an unrelated appearance Wednesday at a Philadelphia charter school. He says the grant funds are being withheld in light of the growing scandal. He defends the decision to approve the grant while knowing about the child molestation allegations against Sandusky.

He says he doesn't want to risk compromising the investigation.

Sandusky has maintained his innocence. He acknowledges showering with boys but denies molesting them.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)