NJ to Spend $13 Million on Rail Improvements
The Christie Administration has announced the awarding of 12 grants totaling just under $13 million.
The money comes from the New Jersey Department of Transportation’s (NJDOT) Rail Freight Assistance Program. The idea is to improve and preserve the state’s existing freight transportation system and to make freight rail service more widely available for businesses.
“The Christie Administration is committed to providing assistance to New Jersey’s freight railroads for improvements to and preservation of our rail transportation network,” said NJDOT Commissioner James Simpson. “The projects funded here will help advance a transportation strategy that strives to increase mobility and efficiency in the movement of goods in support of the State’s economy.”
Over the past nine years New Jersey has provided more than $65 million for rail projects. The grants provide funding for 90 percent of the estimated cost of each project while the sponsor is beholden to provide the remaining 10 percent.
This latest round of grants will provide cash to upgrade and repair existing railroad tracks and bridges and for expansion projects that will connect existing freight rail lines with new customers.